Diet for Diabetic Patients
Posted By Steffy Alen
Patients struggling with diabetes should be vigilant regarding their food intake. It is necessary to focus on improving dietary intake to enhance overall health. Also, it will help minimize the chances of further complications and contribute to the enhancement of the quality of life. A nutritionist will guide the patient about healthy foods and how to maintain the BMI.
What Foods Can Help Enhance The Health Of Diabetic Patients?
The food proven beneficial for diabetic patients are:
- Fish: Certain types of fish, including salmon and anchovies, are a source of omega-3 fatty acids. The use of fatty fish decreases the chances of stroke and heart attack, which the diabetic patients are at high risk.
- Green Vegetables: Spinach and kale are a source of vitamins and minerals. Also, they are fulfilling and do not contribute to increased blood sugar levels.
- Avocado: Avocados have healthy fats and a minimum amount of sugar and carbohydrates. The use of avocados in the diet help maintain sugar levels and body mass index.
- Chia Seeds: They have high fiber content that allows the patient to maintain healthy body weight.
- Legume: Beans have a low glycemic index that allows the patient to maintain their glucose level. Additionally, they provide the body with the required minerals and Vitamin B.
- Yogurt: The use of yogurt in daily routine prevents the person from diabetes type B. additionally, it helps in losing weight that minimizes the risk of other illnesses.
- Walnuts and Almonds: Nuts have high fiber content and help in reducing blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: The use of olive oil is proven beneficial for blood pressure and the overall health of the heart.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The patients should take four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in their everyday routine. The use of vinegar improved fasting blood sugar levels.
- Garlic: Garlic is proven beneficial for diabetic patients as it helps to reduce blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
What Food Items Are To Be Minimized Or Eliminated From The Diet?
- Refined Grains: Refined grains such as white bread and pasta are high in carbohydrates and low in fiber. The refined grains help in elevating the blood sugar levels that may result in further complications.
- Beverages: Cold drinks and juices have high sugar content. They are not suitable for diabetic patients as they instantly affect blood sugar levels.
- Fried Food Items: Fried foods have trans-fat that can cause obesity and heart-related problems.
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol correlates with low blood sugar levels.
- Cereals: Cereals have high sugar content; hence, the patients are recommended to switch to oatmeal.
- Preservative foods: Processed meat and other products have high sodium content, which correlates with heart diseases.
- Sugary Food Items: Bakery items such as cakes and biscuits elevate the glycemic index.
What Other Factors Help To Enhance The Health Of The Diabetic Patient?
- Physical Activity: Diabetic patients should develop the habit of walking or swimming. Physical exertion improves blood flow and reduces blood sugar levels that are beneficial for overall health.
- Portion Control: The patients should control their portion size as advised by their dietician.
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: It can be hard to follow a diet plan without personal likes. Medical nutrition therapy allows the patient to follow a diet plan based on their preferences. The technique has proven beneficial for managing blood sugar levels, and the patient feels content
Diabetic patients should remain conscious of their health as their condition may correlate with other severe illnesses. It is advisable to visit the Dietitian in Islamabad for a diet plan based on individual preferences and overall health.